starting August 2021
We are seeking enthusiastic and caring individuals who are looking for an exciting challenge to work within our student-centered team here in beautiful Switzerland.
Collège and Lycée Saint-Charles is a dynamic, friendly and thriving school located in the Canton of Jura. Our mission is to provide students with a high-quality education while developing the attributes of kindness, respect, and responsibility towards others and the environment.
Founded in 1897, Collège et Lycée Saint-Charles follows the humanist and Christian values of caring for others and the environment, respecting cultures and individuals, and approaching the world with openness and positivity. The school aims to develop the same values in students and to support students in becoming responsible, global citizens who work to make the world a better place.
Collège et Lycée Saint-Charles is an authorized IB World school for the Diploma Programme (DP, ages 16-18), and a candidate school for the Middle Years Programme (MYP, ages 11-16). Since 2017, the school has completely renovated its buildings, included three brand new state-of-the-art science laboratories with dedicated prep rooms. As such, this is an exciting time to join our School as we grow and develop for the future.
Collège et Lycée Saint-Charles seeks to appoint
two Graduate Assistant Houseparents,
one male and one female, to assist our boarding staff.
Working as part of our boarding team, the main function of this position is to be an adult presence in our Boarding House, looking after the safeguarding, welfare and security of our students and ensuring that their time at Saint-Charles is enjoyable, safe, caring and stimulating. Successful applicants are expected to participate fully in student welfare and the co-curricular programme of a busy boarding school and to be a professional, positive, role-model for our boarding students.
The post will ideally suit a graduate who seeks experience in an educational environmental and who may wish to pursue a career in education. When we consider the qualities that we are looking for in our applicants, we think of words such as boundless energy, resilience, enthusiasm, flexibility, sense of humour, with an understanding of boarding life.
The role of the Graduate Assistant house parent can cover a variety of responsibilities including:
- General residential support, nurturing a family atmosphere of trust, support, and guidance
- Teaching and supervisory support, for example in drama, music, sport, field trips or another area of specialist interest and competence, including assistance with the co-curricular programme
- Residential and administrative work in the House
- Weekday supervision in the school, usually between 10.45 and 16.00
- Weekend duties, typically 1 weekend in every 3 when averaged out across the academic year
- Overnight supervision in the House as required
- Study supervision
- Attendance at weekly training and support meetings as required
- Any other duties which may reasonably be required from time to time by the School
- A desire to contribute to and foster a positive learning community, encouraging international mindedness and intercultural understanding where students feel supported and valued
- Demonstrated ability to be a strong team-member
- An appreciation of working in a small school environment
- EU or UK citizenship
- Degree level education or equivalent
- Prior residential experience in a European /Swiss international school environment
- Driving license
- Proficiency in French
Salaries and Benefits
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Enhanced pension plan
How to Apply
- A letter of motivation
- Full CV with photo
- Passport copy
- Contact details of three referees. Referees will be contacted with your consent.
Interviews will be held by Skype and/or face-to-face, as appropriate. Our school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all students in our care and expects all applicants to share this commitment. We follow safe recruitment practices and appointments are subject to satisfactory criminal record/background checks.