The International School of Lausanne is a leading not-for-profit, English language, three programme International Baccalaureate World School set in the French speaking part of Switzerland. Our school is committed to excellence in education. It strives to fulfil the unique potential of each student in a supportive and challenging holistic learning environment that prepares him or her for continuing education and an active and responsible role in a multicultural world. The school employs 160 employees on its campus where we welcome approximately 850 students from over 60 nationalities, from three to 18 years of age.
For our Secondary School, we are seeking to employ a
Science Laboratory Assistant at 40%
Temporary contract from 19 August 2019 to 31 July 2020
- Support science teachers with the preparation of practical lessons
- Prepare solutions and equipment according to teaching staff requests
- Maintain an efficient system for the use, the cleaning and the allocation of material and equipment
- Provide advice in safety matters and good use of technical equipment and chemicals
- Maintain an inventory of equipment; source and assist with ordering of equipment and chemicals
- Maintain a safe and efficient storage system for products in accordance with international good practices
- Maintain functionality of lab fittings (e.g. sinks, electricity, extractor hoods)
- Trial practical activities, modify equipment and perform demonstrations if requested
- Advise on ethical practices within the science department
Qualifications and Qualities Required
- A recognized science qualification
- A background in practical science, ideally in a school setting
- Ideally three years’ proven success in a similar setting
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Understanding of and sensitivity to cultural variance; a work experience in an international environment is an asset
- Adaptability, flexibility, dynamism and a sense of humour
- Good ICT skills and a knowledge of their effective use to support the organisation
- Good level in English (B2-C1 minimum); French is an advantage
- Commitment to self-reflection and professional development
This position is open for men and women. Due to work permit limitations, preference will be given to candidates holding a Swiss work permit or having a Swiss/EU citizenship.
- Cover letter
- Copies of diplomas or professional qualifications
- Letters of reference (if any)
- Details of two professional referees
The School will process applications, and interview candidates, as received until Wednesday 3 July. After this date, the School will be closed for several weeks; if necessary, interviews will start again in the week of Monday 12 August.
Safeguarding and Promoting the Welfare of Children and Young People
The International School of Lausanne is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
All employees are required to undertake a security clearance. This takes the form of a criminal records report and a special excerpt from Swiss criminal records for those working with children. It is school policy to actively seek confidential references for all new employees including at least one from the previous employer.
SGIS do not accept CV's. For information on vacancies advertised or queries about positions available in Switzerland please contact schools directly. Please send your CV to the relevant school site.