The Swiss Group of International Schools (SGIS) exists to support international schools in Switzerland and neighbouring countries in achieving their educational goals and to provide representation on issues of common interest.
The following are excerpts from the Articles of the Organization.
The Swiss Group of International Schools (SGIS) is a not-for-profit organization whose purpose is to:
- promote closer links among teachers, administrators, and students of its member schools;
- promote professional development for teachers and administrators;
- provide opportunities for arranging educational, cultural, and sporting activities among member schools;
- provide a forum for the sharing of educational resources;
- represent the concerns of international schools in Switzerland to local and federal authorities;
- cooperate and maintain professional contacts with other regional and international educational bodies and associations.
SGIS promotes the following activities:
Conferences/Workshops: Conferences and workshops shall be held regularly during each academic year.
Sports: To promote inter-school sports competition at every level, the SGIS Sports Committee, composed of the member schools' Sports or Athletic Directors, shall be established. The SGIS Sports Committee shall recommend the appointment of one of its members as the SGIS Sports Coordinator to the Executive Committee.
Standing Committees: To support and promote the purposes of the SGIS, Standing Committees may be created at the discretion of the Executive Committee.
- Annual General Meeting (AGM): The AGM shall be held in the fall of each year. 50% of the regular member schools shall constitute a quorum. Each regular school designates an official representative who may vote on its behalf. Members shall be notified in writing of the date, location, and agenda of the AGM not less than four weeks in advance.
The functions of the AGM are:
- election of the Executive Committee;
- approval of the Treasurer's Report;
- action on membership recommendations submitted by the Executive Committee;
- consideration of any other business.